The National Library of Scotland has produced an amazing website where you can compare maps of the UK from present day with the same locations on the 1892-1914 OS Map.
It’s a little technical but it’s actually quite easy once you get the hang of it.
To get you started, what we would suggest is to follow these instructions –
- Close the Help screen by clicking on the cross top right (you can click at the bottom to stop the pop-up coming back)
- Click on “Find by Place” at the top in blue and enter your town or street
- Once you have found your town/street click on “Side by Side” at the top
- Working on the map on the right, move the map so that your street is in the centre by either (for ipads, phones etc) putting your finger on the map and pulling one way or left-click, hold and drag.
- Zoom in/out using the +/- button top left if the map.
- Now look at the map on the left – that is what your land looked like 100 years ago!
We are most grateful to the National Library of Scotland for making these maps available to the public.